I wrote my first book at age 17, and I loved all 200 pages of it. As I look back on the story now, I can see where I would say this or express that differently, but all that matters is that I did it and it’s something I can be proud of for the rest of my life.
Here are 11 reasons why you should write a book before age 30:
11. You have more free time to work with now than you will then.
10. Your perspective is simpler now and you can revisit it and write again when you’re older and see how you have grown.
9. You can add it to your resume. Especially if you go into arts, or an industry that values that kind of accomplishment.
8. It’ll set you apart. Most 20-somethings are out getting wasted. You will be creating a masterpiece.
7. You will mature in many ways. Writing makes you think more deeply than you ever have before. This makes you see life differently.
6. It will help you be disciplined. To complete a book takes time and perseverance. You can’t give up.
5. You will leave a legacy to your future children or younger siblings. Show them a good example.
4. People will want to talk to you more. Authors are always interesting and people find them something of a novelty and an honour to talk to.
3. You will gain self-esteem. Wrote a book? Of course you will feel good.
2. It will give you something to do after class or work. Parties are fun but sometimes you need that chill time and something productive to do.
1. You will feel happier and more productive. Enough said.